16 February 2018
FIRST LOOK: ALTON TOWERS REVEALS EXCLUSIVE IMAGES OF WICKER MAN
Alton Towers Resort has released first-look images of their latest thrill attraction Wicker Man, the first wooden rollercoaster to be built in the UK for 21 years, with the unique thrill of fire. The dramatic images reveal a spectacular six-story (57.7ft) structure, featuring an impressive human face on one side and ram’s head on the other, which bursts into flames as the train races through its chest.
Alongside the new images of Wicker Man in all its glory, further details revealed include:
- The height of the Wicker Man structure is 17.55m (57.57ft)
- Over 40,000 tonnes of soil has been excavated to build the new attraction
- Track spans 2,000ft and is made from naturally treated timber, hand-carved specifically for the project
- Every ride will house 2 trains, each made up of 6 wooden carriages carrying 12 passengers (24 passengers per ride)
- Alton Towers Resort has invested £16 million into the creation of Wicker Man which has been in development for the last four years
- Wicker Man will open to the public this Spring
Before boarding Wicker Man, riders will embark on a journey into the world of the Beornen, a secret community living in the woods around Alton. Lured in by chanting, rhythmic sounds and unseen eyes watching them, guests will ‘be chosen’ to take part in the cinematic ‘pre-show’ before braving the ride itself.
Francis Jackson, Operations Director at Alton Towers Resort, commented: “Wicker Man is Alton Towers’ most ambitious project to date and we’re really excited to finally reveal our newest thrill attraction to the world. We’ve spent four years creating an experience that is truly spectacular by investing in the latest technologies which combine wood, fire and special effects to give riders the genuine feeling that they will be racing though flames. We can’t wait for everyone to experience Wicker Man when the park opens this Spring.”